Prospective International Students

University of Indianapolis Photo

The International Services provides a number of services designed to improve and enhance the life of international students at the University of Indianapolis. Orientation programs and activities help smooth the process of adaptation, to life in the United States and to the university campus.   Services provided include up-to-date immigration advising, personal counseling, and provision of health insurance.

Graduate or Undergraduate Student?

This website is designed to provide you with the information you need according to your academic level. Please read below to determine your academic level.

You are an undergraduate student if all of the following are true:

  • You have completed high school or secondary school.
  • You wish to pursue a bachelor's degree or associate degree at the University of Indianapolis.

You are a graduate student if:

  • You have already received the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree from a university, and you want to pursue a master's or doctoral degree at the University of Indianapolis.
    Admission requirements vary by program, please investigate the requirements for the graduate program you're interested in.


  1. To request information or Apply for admission to the University of Indianapolis
  2. Determine if you will need to change your immigration status and do so.
  3. After confirmation of admission to the University, apply for your I-20 and VISA.
  4. Determine where you would like to live — on-campus or off-campus.
  5. Review the Pre-Arrival Checklist.
  6. Arrive at the University of Indianapolis.
  7. Attend Orientation.
  8. Purchase Health Insurance.


  1. Apply for admission to the graduate program of interest.
  2. When admitted to the program, take your I-20, passport, and Statement of Financial Support to the nearest U.S. Consolate.
  3. Determine where you would like to live — on-campus or off-campus.
  4. Review the Pre-Arrival checklist.
  5. Arrive at the University of Indianapolis.
  6. Attend Orientation, if you are a new student at UIndy .
  7. Purchase Health Insurance.

Transfer Students

If you are an international student already in the U.S. you will be asked to complete an International Student Transfer Form - Undergraduate, Graduate (Immigration Purposes), through the International Services here at the University of Indianapolis and through the International Office of the school you are transferring from, prior to receiving an I-20 or DS-2019.   Please note that this is a transfer in terms of immigration and is separate from any type of academic transfer process.  

If you are already in the U.S. in a non-student visa classification, the International Services will help you determine whether you need to change to a student classification. There are many non-immigrant visa categories which permit study. However, if you have been offered an assistantship, scholarship or other type of aid, you may be required to change your status in order to accept the award.  

If you have any questions about either situation listed above, please contact the International Student Advisor.