Local Medical Assistance

When you've just arrived in a new country, seeking proper medical attention can be an overwhelming task. The following information was put together to help you:

UIndy Student Health Center

Schwitzer Center, Suite 201, 2nd floor

Hours: Monday –Thursday: 8:00-11:45am, 1:15-3:45pm   
Friday: 8:45-11:45am only
No Nurse Practitioner's on duty during summer, spring or semester breaks. Front office is staffed all year to answer questions, take health records.

If the Health Center is open when needed, this should always be your first stop!  This service is available to you for low fees; usually $10- 20.00 cash is enough for medicines or treatments.  There are two nurse practitioners there to help you.  For further information, please contact the Student Health Center directly or http://healthservices.uindy.edu.


1664 West Smith Valley Road
Greenwood, IN 46142
(317) 888-8112

Medcheck-Greenwood is a division of Community Hospital of Indianapolis. It is located ½ block east of State Road 135 on the north side of the road. The plaza is a walk in, no appointment necessary urgent care facility. It is home to an outpatient surgery center, multiple primary care and subspecialty physician offices. They offer on-site radiology, laboratory services and an available community resource room. Two surgery suites support orthopedic, gynecologic, plastic and general surgeries.

Medcheck-Greenwood has been approved as the off-campus location for the University of Indianapolis student health center. Referrals are not required and deductible costs are $50 (see "Health Insurance" above for details). It is necessary to schedule an appointment in advance for some services.

Public Health Centers

Public Health Centers are established and paid for by the US government. Appointments are not necessary and you will not be turned away if you cannot pay. However, a doctor is not located on site. This is NOT an emergency clinic! A parent or guardian must be present for all children's services. Public Health Centers provide the following services:

  • Adult and child immunizations
  • Tuberculosis services
  • TB skin tests and medications
  • Services for other communicable diseases: Hepatitis A, Head Lice, Shigella
  • Blood pressure checks
  • Pregnancy testing
  • Counseling and referrals for pregnancy, infant/child care, and family planning
  • Counseling and referrals for general health problems
  • Referrals for social work services
  • Referrals for nutrition services

Public Health Offices in Indianapolis.

The office located nearest to the University of Indianapolis is the South District Health Office.

South District Health Office (walking distance of UIndy)
505 East National Avenue
(317) 783-2474

Blackburn Health Center
2700 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. St.
(317) 299-9010

Clearstream Gardens
2339 South Riley Avenue
(317) 783-2474

Concord Center
1310 South Meridian Street
(317) 783-2474

Concord Village
3221 Concord Court
(317) 299-9010

Hasbrook Building
3838 North Rural Street
(317) 541-2366

Northeast District Health Office
6042 East 21st Street
(317) 352-1871

Northwest District Health Office
7440 N. Michigan Road
(317) 299-9010

Dental Care

Dental care in the United States is very costly. Routine visits are encouraged every 6 months.

Dental care facilities available to students:

Julie A. Boyd, D.D.S., L.L.C.
1030 E Country Line Road, Suite A-1
Indianapolis IN 46227
(317) 859-6880

Indiana Smile Designer (5% discount for UIndy students)
Dr. Turner and Dr. Deldar
3915 S Madison Avenue, Suite 2
Indianapolis IN 46227
(317) 788-1001

Indiana University School of Dentistry
1121 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-5186
(317) 274-7433

Medical Emergencies — Dial 911

There is one telephone number to dial when you have any type of emergency — medical or otherwise. You will need to explain the nature of the emergency and the appropriate response team will be sent to your location. This includes an ambulance, if required. Remember — if you are phoning from a telephone on campus, you must first dial a "9" to get an outside line!

If you are located on campus and are faced with a health care emergency, always dial 9-911 first. Then contact the campus police (788-3333 evenings and weekends). Finally, if you are located in a residence hall, call your front desk to apprise them of the emergency.