Students in J-1 status may work a maximum of 20 hours per week is permitted while school is in session. During annual vacation periods you may work up to 40 hours a week. Only limited employment opportunities are available to J-1 students.
- On-Campus Employment — This employment may be possible if you are maintaining your status and if the employment is permitted within your program.
- Off-Campus Employment — You may receive authorization for off-campus employment upon demonstration of an urgent financial need to work. Employment may not begin until written authorization has been given.
- Academic Training: During, or upon completion of, your studies you may engage in up to eighteen (18) months of Academic Training.
- Employment must be directly related to your major field of study and may occur anywhere in the U.S.
- Employment may not begin until written authorization has been given.
- You are only permitted to receive compensation until the expiration date listed on Form DS-2019, Item # 3, or through completion of studies, whichever comes first.
- Do not begin employment, accept additional appointments or change employers without prior approval from the International Services.