You have the right to travel freely within the United States provided you maintain your legal J-1 status and have your passport and immigration documents in your possession.   If you plan to travel outside the United States, however, please note the following:

  • Travel outside the U.S. with planned return to University of Indianapolis — Please consult with staff in the International Services in advance of any travel outside the United States.   You will need travel authorization and documentation required for re-entry to the U.S.
  • Travel outside the U.S. with transfer to another institution — Consult in advance with the International Services regarding your proposed travel and change of institution. If the change is permitted, you must obtain Form DS-2019 from your new school before you attempt to re-enter the U.S.