Extending Your Stay

The following outlines the procedures for extending your permission to stay in the United States — either to complete your program of study, or to start/complete your "Academic Training" (study-related employment).

When to Extend

  • Your permission to stay in the United States ends on the expiration date of your I-94 Departure Record card — unless the card is marked "Duration of Status" or "D/S." In that case your permission to stay expires 30 days after the date shown in item #3 of your Form DS-2019, "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status".
  • You should apply for an extension at least 60 days prior to the date shown in item #3 of your Form DS-2019.


In order to extend your permission to stay in the United States, you must first obtain a new Form DS-2019 from your J-1 Responsible Officer in the International Services, who will need proof of your eligibility before issuing the Form. You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if you:

  • are studying full-time and making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding; or
  • have completed your program of study and want to participate in "Academic Training;" or
  • are participating in an authorized "Academic Training" program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program.

Extension Procedures

  • Obtain a letter from your faculty adviser confirming your continued academic progress, full-time student status, and date of program completion.
  • Secure an updated letter of award (e.g., scholarship or assistantship), bank statement, or other documents to show sufficient financial support to cover the period of extension.
  • Submit all materials to the International Services staff at least 60 days before your permission to stay expires. If you meet all the requirements, the International Services will issue a new DS-2019.   You will then be advised of appropriate procedures to follow to complete the extension.

A Word of Caution

Extension of your permission to stay is your responsibility. If you forget the deadline and apply late, your application will be denied. If you are employed and overlook the date, you will be working illegally. Since such mistakes can have serious consequences, you should make certain that you apply well in advance (60 days is recommended) if you need to extend your stay.