Changing Your Status

University of Indianapolis Photo

Do You Need To?

There are many visa classifications which permit either full- or part-time study.   However, these other visa classes may not afford individuals the benefits of working on campus, of engaging in practical training after completion of study, and more. If you are in the U.S. in a visa classification other than F-1 or J-1 student (such as F-2, J-2, H-1B, H-4, G-4, E-2, B-2, etc.), please check with the International Services for restrictions specific to your immigration status.

If your current status does not permit full-time study, you will not be eligible to enroll as a full-time student at UIndy until you have received approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of your change of status. Likewise, if you have been offered a graduate assistantship and your current immigration status does not permit employment, you will not be able to accept the offer until your status has changed.

In the event that the principal F-1, J-1 or H-1B holder finishes his/her program or terminates employment and has to depart from the U.S., dependents will also be expected to depart. In such cases, dependents should apply to the USCIS for a change of status to continue in their academic programs.

Applying for a Change in Your Immigration Status

Once you have consulted with the International Services and determined that a change of status is necessary, you must assemble an application. The International Services will file the application on your behalf, but it is your responsibility to provide all the necessary documentation and fees.

You must submit the Change of Status Form to the International Services.

Once you have submitted these documents to the International Services, we will review the application, attach other required documents, and submit it to the USCIS. It can take 6 to 12 weeks for USCIS to make a decision, so make sure you factor this into your planning.

Information about admission to the University can be found at the International Admissions Department.

Information about graduate programs can be found at the Graduate Majors page.